Grade 3-6: Density, Mass, and Volume
Basic: After completing the lesson the students will have a better understanding of mass and Volume. They will also have an opportunity to practice learning how to measure length and mass accurately.
Advanced: The students will recognize the difference between weight and mass, make predictions about two similar size objects, experiment with liquids that have different densities, and learn that measurements can be described by different units. They will practice these skills by creating a density column using different liquids and by determining the density of an unknown.
Grade 5-6: Density and Graphing (Note: Students need to be able to graph points on a coordinate plane.)
The students will learn that measurements can be described by different units, and represent experimental data on a graph to draw conclusions.
4.2: Select and use the appropriate tools including technology to make measurements (including metric units) and represent results of basic scientific investigations.
- Use appropriate tools to collect data.
- Record all data in metric units.
- Organize data using tables.
Equipment Provided in the Kit
- Density Binder
- 3 digital balances
- 1 plastic mass set in a box
- 2 different sized volume sets (3-d shapes) – 11 large shapes and 15 small shapes in a box
- Density Cubes found in the blue box
- Aluminum Cylinder Density kit – 12 cylinders
for more information:
Lauren Rivers, Education Director